Sunday, April 01, 2012

Vegas conference, 2011.


Not too many people believe this, but it is actually possible to love your workplace for reasons other than :

1. The office has a foosball table.

2. The pantry stocks beer on fridays.

One such reason is when your workplace holds its annual conference in Vegas.

Q.E.D.    

* Big, yellow, blissful Smiley *

Conference apart, I caught up with some of my buddies from engineering school in Vegas and NY for 2 weekends of pure gold.

Now most folks regard Vegas as the motherland of mindless debauchery but I thought of my trip as quite a learning experience. I remember jotting down some of these learnings on a damp tissue paper at this respectable bar on the strip, at a respectable hour in the night:-

1. Nevada isn’t actually shut from 11 am to 11 pm.

2. Petrol is cheaper than diesel in US and on a PPP basis, about 1/3rd as cheap as India - So I don't get why all those folks were fussing about the futility of the Iraq war.

3. A black LWB Escalade is the most pimping set of wheels you can ride on. Its massive, obscene and you'd reckon the best mileage it could manage is 2 - That's 2 litres per km.

4. ‘The spectacular melting smores sundae’ definitely beats the ‘Chocolate chunk pizza’ at Max Brenner.



I'm still not sure if any of these learnings belong to the classical "Bird in hand is worth two in the bush" school of maxims in terms of usefulness in life. But if you had to take away any one of them, I'd recommend number 4.

I'd also recommend that you NOT cheap-ass your way out of tipping a New York cabbie, but thats for another day.

No comments: